Monday, December 19, 2011

Mastitis/clogged duct!

Whatever this is whether it is mastitis or a clogged duct it is not my friend! Woke up Saturday with lots of pain this happens a lot in the morning as DD sleeps 12 hours a night so by morning I am very full. Well this didn't go away I started feeling worse chills, ache and all around not so great. Then as I checked my breast I realized it was getting red. So to the bowl of warm water I went dangled in for about 10 mins, as I was trying to massage the painful area. Then I tried to feed DD as much as I could from that side trying different positions football hold, laying her down and dangling in ( she thought this was funny and would suck for a few mins and then laugh) I know it must be weird, but I was trying everything! I ended up taking Tylenol (which I never do), but it made me feel some relief which I needed. So on to Sunday, I was even more red but no chills or aches felt normal except for my painful breast. I was still doing the bowl of water and trying to massage it down, milk was coming out yellow near clog, and thick. it looked string in the water. I think it was finally working its way out! By evening it was somewhat better, and today a lot better not as much pain thank goodness I have too much to do!

Things to do or try if this happens to you
  • Warm bowl of water right before feed
  • Warm compress
  • In shower try using wide toothed comb and try working clog towards nipple
  • Rest
  • Feed as much as you can especially from that side. don't forget about the other side though
  • Plenty of fluids drink a lot of water
  • Take Tylenol (it will help with the pain)
Good luck! I hope no one ever has to deal with this, but I know we all must go through it so if it happens to you don't hesitate to ask for help and if it is really bad fever etc call your doc!

No comments:

Post a Comment